Analysing and mapping New Zealand’s regional geology.
GNS Science has considerable experience in stratigraphy and structural geology of sedimentary, metamorphic and igneous rocks from Paleozoic to Quaternary, particularly in New Zealand and Antarctica. Our focus is on the acquisition and collation of information on the distribution, composition and origin of geological units of New Zealand and its territories.
We have over a century of experience in producing high quality geological maps at national, regional and local scales.
- The Geology of New Zealand is summarised from more than 100 years of regional geological studies and scholarship.
- Data collection and their management are at the core of regional geology and including Geological maps, digital geological map datasets, rock sample information and implementation of standards. See our digital geological maps here
- Urban Geological Mapping is underway in New Zealand cities.
- Regional Geological Mapping is underway in resource-rich areas and special interest areas around New Zealand and in Antarctica.
- Remote Sensing techniques applied to satellite and airborne imagery are widely used for understanding geological phenomena.
- Geological Origins of New Zealand’s older rocks are explored and explained through high precision analytical techniques.