Nationally Significant Databases
Nationally Significant Databases are those datasets and collections registered as important for New Zealand, and as such are supported by long-term government funding.
On behalf of New Zealand, GNS Science is contracted to manage eight nationally significant databases. This includes to:
- maintain the viability and longevity of the samples and data;
- add new samples and data to ensure databases are current and relevant;
- undertake research to enhance the datasets; and
- ensure curation facilities are appropriate for long term protection and viability of the information.
- National Earthquake Information Database
- New Zealand Volcano Database
- New Zealand Geomagnetic Database
Mapping & Resources
Rocks & Minerals
Paleontology & Stratigraphy
- New Zealand Fossil Record File
- National Paleontological Collection and associated databases