Solving challenges in groundwater exploration, development and production.
We can support your project through initial planning, gaining consents, understanding the size of the resource, and managing diverse environmental issues. Our services include:
- Resource Assessment
- Water Sampling and Analysis
- Dating and Tracing Water
- Environmental Studies
- Maps, Models and Databases
- Laboratory Facilities
Insight into your groundwater resource through hydrogeology, geophysics, geochemistry and water dating expertise. Our specialists can:
- Identify the size and boundaries of aquifers
- Clarify flow rates and directions
- Advise on best water take
- Identify contaminant flow paths
- Assess and map sediments, fracture zone locations, porosity and geological structures
- Advise on well siting
- Report on aquifer analyses for resource assessment
- Assess security of supply and water quality
- Advise on technique selection, survey design and water quality monitoring
- Develop conceptual and numerical models
Whether you need to plan or progress use of new groundwater resources, site bores, increase the draw from an existing well, or address contamination and environmental issues, we can help.
Water sampling and Analysis
- Chemical analysis for assessing the origin, quality and potential use of groundwater resources. We can:
- Assess and compare water quality to relevant guidelines and standards
- Report on environmental issues
- Clarify seasonal variation in water composition and identify long term trends
- Assess effects of land use on water quality
- Indicate nitrogen and pollutant sources
- Predict future water quality
- Undertake ongoing water monitoring
Assessing aquifer sustainability and vulnerability to support early detection of deteriorating water quality. We can:
- Identify recharge areas, flow paths, mixing and aquifer structure
- Identify and compare effects of land-use on water quality
- Validate groundwater flow models
- Determine the security of your groundwater supply, as per the Drinking Water Standards for New Zealand: 2005
Identifying environmental issues such as land-use change, water balance, contaminant effects and seawater intrusion. Applications include:
- Contaminated site studies
- Water quality monitoring
- Geological environment setting descriptions
- Water and soil sampling and analysis
- Hydrological and sedimentological modelling
- Groundwater flow and contaminant transport modelling
- Independent scientific input for resource consents.
Integrated and customised groundwater maps, models and other data for your specific needs. Includes:
- 2D and 3D modelling- tailored to suit your needs, including steady-state and transient models of groundwater systems, and coupled groundwater-surface water systems.
- Geographic Information Systems(GIS) - customised and integrated resource data, such as geology, chemistry, geophysics, and potentiometric surfaces.
- GNS Geothermal and Groundwater Database (GGW)– New Zealand data sets
- Secure data storage – where you can access it
- Customised databases to suit your needs
- a range of software to ensure compatibility with your existing systems including FEFLOW, MODFLOW, MIKE-11, MIKESHE, and WMS
- 3D Geological Modelling using Leapfrog and Earthvision software packages
- Tritium and Water Dating Laboratory – dating waters using tritium, CFCs and SF6.
- Wairakei Geothermal Analytical Laboratory - elemental/metal analysis, gas and ion chromatography, a full range of traditional inorganic analyses, and a wide range of specialist and non-routine analyses.
- Stable Isotope Laboratory (D/H, 13C, 18O, 34S, 15N): for geology, archaeology, environment, food adulteration and agriculture.
Please contact us with any inquiries you may have.